Lotus root soup with corn and carrot, pork rib (Chinese name is 莲藕排骨汤 Lian Ou Pai Gu Tang) is a traditional dish that belongs to the Hubei cuisine. The main ingredients are pork ribs, lotus root, and salt. We also can add corn and carrot. It is a famous dish in Hubei province which is known as “Province Of Thousand Lakes” and “The Land Of Lotus Root”.
The lotus root is the large underground stem of the lotus. It can be used for food and is mainly cultivated in the marshland. It is slightly sweet and crisp. It also can be eaten raw or cooked and has a high medicinal value. It also can be made into lotus root powder which can eliminate food and relieve diarrhea, appetite and clear away heat, nourish and prevent internal bleeding. It is good liquid food and nourishing rare food for women, children, children, and frail patients.
When the summer is coming, we cook this Chinese lotus root soup to reduce the heat of our body. When the winter is coming, the weather turns cold, and stews a pot of lotus root soup can make us warm. The nutrition of this soup is sweet and delicious. just follow our lotus root soup recipe to cook it. If you want to watch the detailed video guide, you can watch it below.
How To Make Lotus Root Soup With Corn And Carrot
Step 1: Prepare Ingredients
Firstly, we should prepare ingredients for this soup. Cut 6 slices of ginger. Then save them for later. Peel 1 carrot and use a hob to cut it into pieces. Then save it for later. Peel 1 lotus root and use a hob to cut it into pieces. Then save it for later. Cut 1 corn into small pieces. Then save it for later.
If you don’t like the corn or carrot, you can only add the lotus root. It can adjust for your hobby.
Step 2: Wash Pork Ribs
Next, we should wash 300g fresh pork ribs for this soup. If you buy it from the market, you can ask the salesperson to help you chop it. Then save it for later.
Step 3: Blanch Pork Ribs
After that, we should blanch pork ribs. Firstly, add 3 slices of ginger, pork ribs into the pan. Add enough water to immerse them. Then use the big fire to boil them. After the water has boiled, blanch pork ribs for 3 minutes. Then use water to wash it. Then drain and save it for later.
After blanching, the final soup will become more limpid and sweet without any meat smell.
Step 4: Fry Pork Ribs
Next, we should fry pork ribs. Add 1 teaspoon peanut oil into the pan. Use the big fire to heat it. Then add pork ribs into the pan. Stir fry it for 1 minute. Then save it for later.
After frying, it can increase the fragrance of the final soup.
Step 5: Cook Lotus Root Soup With Corn And Carrot
Now, we can start to cook lotus root soup with corn and carrot. Add pork ribs, 3 slices of ginger into the pot. Then add about 1500ml water to immerse them. Use the big fire to heat them. After the water has boiled, use a small fire to cook them for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add corn, lotus root, carrot into the pot and use a small fire to cook them for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper into the pot. Stir them evenly.
Then we got the delicious lotus root soup with corn and carrot. The soup is very light, nutritious, and delicious. It is perfect for autumn tonics. Hope you can try it at home.
Cooking Tips For Lotus Root Soup Recipe
- We should choose the lotus root that is red on its core. It will taste better than other typed lotus roots.
- We can cut the lotus root into pieces before boiling and then submerge it with a little salt. Then rinse it when you pour it into the soup and boil it. It can increase the taste for the lotus root and help the lotus root to be softer.
- We should choose the lotus root that joints are intact so that there is no mud and sand in the eyes of the lotus root.
- The salt should be added at the end. It can make lotus root pork soup more delicious.
- If you want more fragrant, we recommend using the casserole to cook the Chinese lotus soup. The wall of the casserole is thick and the heat preservation effect is good. In the process of boiling the soup, the temperature of the soup can be better guaranteed. In the case of rapid high temperature, it can make the taste more delicious and nutritious. The cooking soup should pay attention to steady fire and original flavor. The casserole has poor thermal conductivity, wall thickness, and natural color. It is suitable for low fire and has no iron, aluminum, or copper to affect the taste of the soup.
FAQs About Recipe
What Is Lotus Soup Good For?
The lotus root is tender, crispy, and sweet. It is rich in protein, carbohydrates, fat, calcium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin C, and vitamin B. Drinking lotus root soup regularly can provide nutrition for the human body and strengthen the body. Lotus root also has medicinal value according to the opinions of traditional Chinese medicine. Lotus root soup has good benefits for the spleen and stomach. It can nourish the stomach, nourish Yin, nourish the blood, stop diarrhea, and also has the effects of clearing heat, eliminating phlegm, nourishing blood, and nourishing skin. The lotus root soup is fresh, sweet, and not greasy, and it is a good diet and healthy food.
What Is Lotus Soup Made Of?
Usually, the lotus soup is made of lotus root, pork ribs. We also add cron and carrot for this soup. Sometimes we also use lotus root to cook Chinese pork bone soup or lotus root pork soup. It can have many matches with other ingredients according to our flavor.
What Does Lotus Root Taste Like?
The fresh dug-out lotus root has a peculiar fishy smell of soil. But the smell will become lighter after washing. The lotus root itself does not have much smell. But it tastes tender, crispy, and a bit sweet.
Is It Ok To Eat Raw Lotus Root?
Lotus root is a healthy food with high nutritional value, green and pollution-free. It can be eaten raw if it is just dug out of the swamp and is washed and peeled. Not only does it benefit the human body, it is crispy and sweet, and it can also clear away heat and quench thirst without leaving anything behind. But if we buy frozen lotus roots that are transported over long distances and several layers of skin need to be scraped off with a paring knife to cook from the market, they are not recommended to be eaten raw.
Is Lotus Root Good For Weight Loss?
We can eat lotus root for weight loss. There are three reasons:
- Lotus root is a low-calorie food. A medium-sized lotus root has about 200g and the calories are only about 91 kcal which is equivalent to 25 grams of rice.
- Lotus root is rich in dietary fiber which can increase satiety, reduce food intake, and maintain intestinal health.
- Lotus root also contains a certain amount of starch. So eating lotus root as a vegetable will have the risk of excessive energy during weight loss. But we can eat lotus root as a staple food instead of part of the staple food.
Can You Freeze Cooked Lotus Root?
The cooked lotus root can also be frozen for preservation and it can be thawed when it is eaten and steamed. But we recommend you freeze fresh lotus root directly. It will make the lotus root maintain its nutrition. You can see the store step below.
How Do You Store Lotus Root In The Fridge?
If the lotus root is undamaged, intact, and covered with a lot of silt, it is recommended to store it directly in a cool and ventilated place. If the skin is relatively clean and not covered by silt, it is recommended to wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for storage.
But if the lotus root has been cut, there are three ways to help you to store lotus root in the fridge.
- Wrap In Plastic: If you can’t eat all the lotus root, cut it well. Then wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. In general, the lotus root can be left for about a week without going bad.
- Soak In Cold Water: Soak the lotus root in cold water and store it in the refrigerator. This method is suitable for eating for two or three days.
- Blanch With Hot Water: Blanch the lotus root in boiling water. Then seal it in a plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator. This method can’t be left for a long time and it needs to be eaten as soon as possible.
- Preservative Treatment: Treat the remaining lotus roots with preservatives and store them in the refrigerator. This method can keep lotus roots for up to three to four months.
How Do You Know If Lotus Root Is Bad?
Bad lotus root has four characteristics.
- Look At The Epidermis: If the skin of the lotus root forehead becomes darker and there are large black-brown patches on it. It often means that it is broken.
- Feel The Touch: Fresh lotus root has rough and dry skin and a hard texture. But you will feel softer and sticky tentacles when you touch a bad lotus root.
- Smell: Fresh lotus roots have a clear fragrance and earthy smell but broken lotus roots may smell rotten and sour.
- Look At The Fibre Of Lotus Root: Fresh lotus roots have many fibers and are not easy to break. But broken lotus roots will not be connected after breaking.
How Do You Soften Lotus Root?
We need to choose a good lotus root if we want to soften the lotus root when we cook it. There are two kinds of lotus roots. One kind of lotus root is crispy, and this kind of lotus root can’t be softened even if it is cooked for a long time. There is also a kind of lotus root that is red. This kind of lotus root is easy to stew and is easy to makes soup.
The lotus root can be soaked in saltwater so that the soaked lotus root can help to cook better soften. You can also slice the lotus root and then use baking soda for marinating. After marinating, it can be cooked directly without cleaning. You can also choose to use cold water or hot water to cook the soup. The hot water can make lotus root to be more delicious. But the cold water is good for soup. You can also cook the lotus root slowly for a long time with a low fire. It will be certainly softened if you cook it with our advice.
How Do You Clean A Lotus Root?
Generally speaking, we just wash the lotus root and use the knife to peel it. But if you want to clean it enough, there are three ways to help you to do that.
- Clean Water Washing Method: Use clean water to soak the mud on the lotus root. It will take a long time for the lotus root to be picked and transported to the hands of the users. Therefore, the mud on the lotus root will dry up on the lotus root. Before cleaning, it needs to be soaked in clean water for a while. Of course, we must cut off both ends of the lotus root before soaking it in water. We should soak the lotus root in clean water for about two hours. Then pour out the dirty water and then add a pot of water to wash it. Wash the lotus root until all the mud is washed away.
- Use Warm Water To Soak The Lotus Root: if we use warm water to soak the lotus root, it is easier to remove the mud on the lotus root that is more convenient, and saves time. but it should be noted that the temperature of the water should be controlled at about 20 to 35 degrees. If it is too high, it will easily destroy the nutrition of the lotus root.
- Using Starch Cleaning Method: The starch has strong adsorption so that the starch water can absorb the mud on the lotus root. After using water to clean the starch, we got the clean lotus root.
- After The Lotus Root Is Cut Into Slices, Wash The Lotus Root With Clean Water Again: If the two ends of the lotus root are not sealed, the mud will enter the lotus root. So we need to pay attention when buying lotus roots. If the lotus root gets in the mud, it will not be clean when you wash the outside. It is best to cut and wash it longitudinally.
That’ s our lotus root soup recipe today. If you have any problem with it, please let me know on the comment. You can also try other Chinese soup here.
Lotus Root Soup
- Firstly, we should prepare ingredients for this soup. Cut 6 slices of ginger. Then save them for later. Peel 1 carrot and use a hob to cut it into pieces. Then save it for later. Peel 1 lotus root and use a hob to cut it into pieces. Then save it for later. Cut 1 corn into small pieces. Then save it for later.
- Next, we should wash 300g fresh pork ribs for this soup. If you buy it from the market, you can ask the salesperson to help you chop it. Then save it for later.
- After that, we should blanch pork ribs. Firstly, add 3 slices of ginger, pork ribs into the pan. Add enough water to immerse them. Then use the big fire to boil them. After the water has boiled, blanch pork ribs for 3 minutes. Then use water to wash it. Then drain and save it for later.
- Next, we should fry pork ribs. Add 1 teaspoon peanut oil into the pan. Use the big fire to heat it. Then add pork ribs into the pan. Stir fry it for 1 minute. Then save it for later.
- Now, we can start to cook lotus root soup with corn and carrot. Add pork ribs, 3 slices of ginger into the pot. Then add about 1500ml water to immerse them. Use the big fire to heat them. After the water has boiled, use a small fire to cook them for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add corn, lotus root, carrot into the pot and use a small fire to cook them for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper into the pot. Stir them evenly. Then we got the delicious lotus root soup with corn and carrot.